Monday, July 03, 2006

Lungi in Austria

It was a chilly evening but we were sat in open to have some coffee/wine and enjoy the serene surrounding. This was a weekend trip to Breganz (Austria) to see the snow, where we managed to slide-make snowman-pelt snow balls at each other. It was one of the most wonderful moments!!! Seeing snow for the first time ... huh / ahhhh!!! Makes you go crazy.

The coffee shop was on the way to the train station and we had enuff time to dunk in some hot fluids before it was time for the train. A polite & charming Austrian waiter (wearing some overgrown gown) came to take the order. He got some glasses of water and astounded us. We have never seen any place in Europe which serves water on the table unless you ask for it, something I couldn’t understand why after visiting those udipi restaurants all my life.

We Never have we seen anyone serving water before???
(Someone in our group managed to say this in German. I don’t blv them :-))) )

Waiter Ah!! Good coffee houses always serve water before u have coffee... so that u have the perfect taste of coffee...

We hmmmmmmmm... interesting (ofcourse not in chorus)

Some ordered for staple drinks while some of the brave ones wanted to try those tongue twister drinks that were on the menu!! I took some weird coffee and remarked that our waiter was wearing a lungi ... :-) ... and we all had a hearty laff ... When the coffee was delivered ppl were enjoying it but I found it to be devoid of sugar (ya i need lotts of sugar in my tea/coffee)...

I asked my friends wot they called for sugar in German and then memorized this. When the waiter came around

I Need SUKKER (sugar in German) and lots of it...

Him huh!! ... lotts ... hmm ... ya ...

I Yup!! SUKKER !!

Him oh!! Cheeni ... Cheeni ... That’s unlike a typical Indian ... they have it strong...

I (gulp !?!) Cheeni .. ya Cheeni ... but how do u know Cheeni ???

He gave a smile and vanished ... returned back with his hands full of sugar sachets ... and made me happy !!!

I Did u say Cheeni ??

Him Yup !! and at times u call it Pansarai too ...

I (#$%^&* … zapped) You know lots of Indian words ....

Him Ya ... I stayed in kerala for couple of years and did catch up a little Malayalam words.

I whew !!! great ... (Did he hear what I said about his Lungi ?)

Him Ya, its a beautiful place. India is beautiful. You all are very much like us ... I felt at home.

I (still not out of the Cheeni/Pansarai shock) ... ya .. ya ... thanx ... We all loved this place and ur coffee ... can v have a repeat !!!

Him Sure and with lotts of Cheeni ... :-)

Never thot we would find a Indian fan in a remote Austrian town. And yeah ... Mebbe the kerala connection explains his Lungi !!

No comments: