Friday, October 20, 2006

For an Iyer, life beings at 4 AM.

Had a good round of all Idili, Pongal & Vadai (served with kozhu, chutney & mulagapodi) & some kesari this morning. Yes, as you would have guessed I attended, this morning, a small tamilian function.
As it has to, the function started at 5:30, making it an authentic Iyer one. For this I had to wake up early (or should I call it at midnight) and get set to ferry people at home to this place. By the time I woke up people at home were all ready (taken a hair bath/had one round of freshly brewed coffee & waiting for the second) & I had to rush through morning ablutions.
It is very important for a Iyer household to start all these functions as early as possible. My little knowledge of iyerism is unable to understand this concept!!
South Indians have this uncanny ability to wake people early (earlier that early) in the morning to wish. Early morning in Tamil parlance is just 4:00 AM. They would get up (i don't know when) - take a bath - smear vibuthi - call to wish u & I would just have slept then. huh !!! No birthdays (both English & Tamil), anniversaries, examination & result days, important festival days (which comes quite too often) have I slept beyond 4. All mama/mamis/uncles/aunties/... would hit our phone much more than the number of hits the playboy site gets.
Infact regular phone calls to chit-chat also happen at this hour. The history of this can be traced to the time when the telecom company would have full/half/one-third/one-forth rate slabs & people would make calls in the least rate slab which coincidently occurs between 11-6. And no Iyer of his salt, would stay awake after 10:00 (that’s when I guess when the popular soaps in sun/jaya/vijay TV ends.) which leave only the morning slot to be used ... I tried telling people that the telecom companies have changed their policies & you guys should also align yours with theirs. It never works.
God!! Let me sleep, is all I mumble on all these days.

No comments: